3.02.2009

Snow day

This morning the snow was slow to show it's face. First we had a 2 hour delay and then finally they announced school was canceled and at that, it began to snow. Sounds odd, huh? Even though it hadn't quite hit by school time, it was coming and the schools around here don't like to take their chances on parents and kids venturing out into slick conditions. And there was a Nor'easter coming! Personally I love snow days. I feel absolutely no pressure to do anything at all. I have no idea why and despite the fact that ALL of my days are technically free from the pressures of a traditional 9-5 job, a snow day puts me into a completely different mindset. Suddenly my kids are all home with me during the day (much like they were all weekend?- yes, but now there is no bickering, the girls are basking in the glow of freshly fallen snow, holding hands and snuggling- they're like best friends on a snow day.) And we sort of feel like pioneers. I don't even feel the need to go out and shovel (ok, so the neighbors hate me). So far today the girls ventured out into the backyard for some pre-sledding snow fun (drat! I promised to taking them sledding... might need to reconsider that one.) Afterwards they came inside for a hot bowl of homemade soup.


As for me, I'm trying to sort through the progress of all of my projects. Last week I accomplished almost nothing at all on the sewing machine, but there was this one thing. I had one piece of organic cotton sitting under the presser foot all week and I kept going to it whenever I had a chance- sewing this stylized wood-grainy pattern. It's the last element for a new batch of little Lumpy play sets I'm finishing up. I'll use the wood grained fabric to make the little totes.

I also blocked sweater #5 of the year. It's an actual boy sweater! I know, I was shocked too. I've struggled so long to figure out what to make for little lads. I'm pretty happy with the sweater. It's as close to camo colored as i plan on getting. I'm calling it Mossy Boss. In related news, sweater #4 of the year has taken a turn for the worse. That sweater has become the bane of my existence. I say that too often, but seriously it's driving me crazy. I always start a sweater out not really knowing where it's going, but that sweater is terrible, I've frogged the sleeves at least twice already and look out because here comes the third! i also have to redo the pod pocket and figure out something to do with the bottom of it (already been frogged once) I should call that sweater Evil Orange Frogfest. It's sure to be a hot seller.

Tomorrow I pick up my yarn for my first custom sweater of the year. I'm excited to go to LYS I haven't been there for a while and I have some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket.
For right now, I have a dirty diaper to tend to and new little bunch of batts that just arrived and are calling my name...
Happy snow day to all you Nor'easterners out there!

No comments: